Safety Tip of the Month
Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas
created when fuels burn incompletely. Common home appliances, which produce
carbon monoxide, are:
The severity of these symptoms will vary depending on the level of exposure and
- Gas furnaces
- Gas ovens
- Gas water heaters
- Gas dryers
- Yard equipment (such as lawnmowers, edgers, gas trimmers)
- Charcoal barbecue grills
duration of the exposure. Symptoms (flu like) of Carbon Monoxide Gas Exposure:
If the alarm sounds:
- Breathing difficulty
- Immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors.
- Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for.
- CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and
on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws,
codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.
- Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
- Call your local fire department’s non-emergency number to find out what number
to call if the CO alarm sounds.
- Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low,
replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it.
Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
- During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove,
and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.